X.org server 1.5: An ABI Too Far?

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Mon Mar 17 07:34:57 UTC 2008

I checked with several of the area computer parts stores and
didn't find any PCI-E video cards old enough to work with
the open source ATI driver.  I don't know much about
recent ATI cards because I switched to Nvidia years ago
because of Nvidia's Linux support.  None of these stores
mentioned anything other than ATI or Nvidia based cards.

I looked at the agenda for X.org's new ABI and didn't find
anything to get excited about.  Certainly nothing cool
enough to give up Compiz for the duration.  One second
X startup?  My desktop takes about 90 seconds from
reset/reboot.  The X server only takes a few seconds
to get its cursor up.  Reducing that to one second isn't
going to change much.  And Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is already
well under a second assuming the monitor can resync quickly.

Based on what I've seen, I'm not surprised ATI and Nvidia
are taking their time working on the new API.

If Fedora 9 is going to ignore the desktop that's fine.
On the server side make it easy for average sysadmins
to exploit the latest and most effective spam solutions.
Speed up CIFS and NFS file transfers.  Leave the desktop
for Fedora Core 10.
</flame>

--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665