A Topic that needs to be discussed on next the QA meeting..

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Mar 18 05:10:32 UTC 2008

Johann B. Gudmundsson <johannbg <at> hi.is> writes:
> Jon Stanley wrote:
> > Your book is not everyone's, nor probably even the majority of
> > people's.  I for one use sshd on *every* machine that I own (yes, I
> > even login to my desktop remotely - that's how I IRC).
> >
> As I said I needed to know who were the target audience were
> and I see it's not desktop users thats why Ubuntu succeeded were Fedora
> should
> have long ago ( yes I have had high hopes for a long time )...

I don't see why sshd would automatically imply "not for desktop users". You
just replied to someone who uses it on his desktop (to access his desktop from
remote machines, which is not even far-fetched unless you work from home and
never travel). As soon as you have at least 2 computers (e.g. one desktop and
one laptop, which is fairly common), you'll come to appreciate SSH (and SFTP
which comes with it - how else is a desktop user who also owns a laptop going
to transfer his/her data between the 2 machines? Through the Internet? How's
that good for security?).

        Kevin Kofler