Tonight's rawhide REALLY wants to boot into level 5

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Mar 28 01:44:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:30:13AM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> >>
> >What about a small patch for /etc/inittab? Something appearing right
> >above or below the default init line saying, NOTE, THIS NO LONGER
> >DETERMINES RUNLEVEL, blah blah.  As this comes into beta, I think
> >there's going to be frequent questions.
>
> Good one:-) Mine's been changed, I added a few more mingetty lines, added
The reason I say put it right above or below that line and in upper case
is because I suspect a lot of people do what I do--we open the file, our
eye goes right to that line, we change it and close it.  For instance,
if there had been a note at the beginning of the file when I went to
edit it, I would have missed it the first time.  (I like to think I
would have caught it the second time, when it booted into level 5 and I
went back to look and see what had happened.)

It seems the majority of people boot into level 5, and for those folks,
I think that even as is, it might be completely transparent.

Still we textmode booting folks aren't completely extinct yet.  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: Hi! You having fun?
Angel: Sure. This is, uh...
Cordelia: Your idea of hell.
Angel: Actually, in hell you tend to know a lot of the people