kernel parm quiet

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 01:49:33 UTC 2008

--- John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org>
wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > John Summerfield wrote:
> >

> >> Kernel messages?
> >> Before RHGB starts?
> >
> > These are not relevant to RHGB. If anything
> happens before RHGB even
> > starts, users would see it anyway.
> The subject says "quiet."
>
> My test system's running Rawhide, and it was in the
> final stages of
> updating to my overnight refresh of my rawhide
> mirror as I read your email.
>
> I added 'quiet rhgb' to the kernel parameters for
> the latest 2.4.25

Did you actually mean 2.6.25 ?

2.4.25 was in the past.  We are actually running a

cut + pasted from Rawhide Report 20080329
kernel-2.6.25-0.172.rc7.git4.fc9
--------------------------------
* Fri Mar 28 2008 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
- 2.6.25-rc7-git4

* Fri Mar 28 2008 John W. Linville
<linville at redhat.com>
- libertas: fix spinlock recursion bug
- rt2x00: Ignore set_state(STATE_SLEEP) failure
- iwlwifi: allow a default callback for ASYNC host
commands
- libertas: kill useless #define LBS_MONITOR_OFF 0
- libertas: remove CMD_802_11_PWR_CFG
- libertas: the compact flash driver is no longer
experimental
- libertas: reduce debug output
- mac80211: reorder fields to make some structures
smaller
- iwlwifi: Add led support
- mac80211: fix wrong Rx A-MPDU control via debugfs
- mac80211: A-MPDU MLME use dynamic allocation
- iwlwifi: rename iwl-4965-io.h to iwl-io.h
- iwlwifi: improve NIC i/o debug prints information
- iwlwifi: iwl_priv - clean up in types of members

* Fri Mar 28 2008 Jarod Wilson <jwilson at redhat.com>
- Fix up Requires/Provides for debuginfo bits

I am running kernel-2.6.25-0.161c7.git4.fc9 or
kernel-2.6.25-0.155rc7.git4.fc9?

Because I did not apply updates on Saturday or Sunday,
but will do so tomorrow :)

The 2.6.25 kernels and 2.6.24-?? have given troubles
for some users and the list has the details.  Some
kernels would simply not boot and we would try left
and right till the latest one did the job.

BTW on one machine I have no rhgb quiet and I can see
all the messages when I am starting the machine and on
the other I have it turned on and it does display the
startup messages that I can see and right after udev
and selinux messages, the rhgb kicks in and takes
over.

> kernel (which I expect to fail), and I did get the
> kernel messages, and
> the expected boot failure (though the actual
> messages were different
> from what I expected. Probably a new mkinitrd caused
> that).
>

> I then booted the last kernel that does work, a
> 2.4.25 kernel, with
> "quiet rhgb" and there are absolutely no messages,
> and the system seems
> to be locked up.
>
> Wanna come round and sort it out?
>

> >> Slow boots?
> >
> > This is unrelated to the ability to debug. If it
> happens, file a bug
> > report.
>
> Against what? The cause is likely a local problem.
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait