nspluginwrapper issues

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at pobox.com
Mon Mar 31 02:21:18 UTC 2008

Hi.  I'm running an updated F9 beta on a new 64 bit computer.  I've
been running fedora for a long time, but I'm new to the world of
64-bit issues.

I'm trying to get the Adobe flash plugin working with firefox.  I
found out about nspluginwrapper, so I installed that package.  When I
run this:

% mozilla-plugin-config -i -f -v

with libflashplayer.so in the /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins directory, I get this:

INFO: Wrapping /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so to
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_64_64.libflashplayer.so...
WARNING: Wrapper /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npconfig is not accessible!

I noticed it was handling a different plugin correctly, so I tried to
replicate the underlying command:

% /usr/lib64/nspluginwrapper/npconfig -p nswrapper_64_64 -d
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins-wrapped -i
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Am I doing something wrong here?

I tried installing gnash as well, but it failed the youtube test, not
showing a video.  I'd be happy to use an open source alternative,
though!

Thanks,
reid