SELinux is preventing access to files with the label, file_t.

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 19:48:51 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:
>>> SELinux is preventing access to files with the
>> label,
>>> file_t.

>> Is this file being created from a virtual machine?
>> How is this file
>> getting there?

In my case it is definitely not a virtual machine (I'm not running any on that
box), but I'm seeing the same thing happen with a variety of files in /tmp.
They all seem to be session data files of some type.

I have hundreds of denials that happened with gconfd-2 a few days ago (socket
files in tmp mostly).  Now I see many of these accesses prevented to file_t.

Files such as:
./keyring-vaxTjg
/tmp/fahcore-iolock.txt  <- I'm running folding at home, it is doing that
./kdecache-lordmorgul
/tmp/pulse-lordmorgul/pid
/tmp/banshee-NDesk.DBus.Bus.txt
/tmp/gnome-system-monitor.lordmorgul.777456431
./virtual-lordmorgul.4FvBXq
./.esd-500
./fah
./virtual-lordmorgul.xxxxx/

And more.  These are all accesses denied to /usr/sbin/tmpwatch, files (normal
and sockets) and directories all labeled file_t.

This list is about a third of the denials I've seen pop up just this morning.
I've seen this occurring for several days (if not more than a week) just have
not dealt with it yet.  The issue is probably not a very recent change.  I've
had several relabels, new kernels, and new policy while seeing this same issue,
many denials to /usr/bin/tmpwatch for file_t.