smartd spamming about Prefailure Attribute: 1

Johann B. Gudmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Wed Mar 5 23:52:32 UTC 2008

Johann B. Gudmundsson wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Johann B. Gudmundsson wrote:

>>> Try blanking ( you can back up the file first ) /etc/smartd.conf and
>>> reboot
>>> and see if it stills spews out those messages..
>>
>> Everything in that file is commented out except for a single line:
>> DEVICESCAN
> Comment out DEVICESCAN and remove the top line "#
> *SMARTD*AUTOGENERATED* /etc/smartd.conf"
> and kill -hup SMARTD_PID and check if those messages are still coming...
>
>>> Did your disable selinux to see if you experience the udev problem..
>>> ( or am I the only one.. ) :< ...
>>
>> Going to try that shortly.

Just comment out DEVICESCAN  and add those 2 lines.. that should fix
your problem...

/dev/sda -d ata -H -m root
/dev/sdb -d ata -H -m root

Found what was the problem.... :) ( needs to be fixed downstream to fc8 )

The culprit is the smartd-conf.py is missing,
Maybe the ubuntu upstart virus got it.. :s

[root at localhost etc]# rpm -qil smartmontools-5.37-8.5.fc9.i386
Name        : smartmontools                Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 5.37                              Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 8.5.fc9                       Build Date: Tue 12 Feb 2008
07:44:42 AM GMT
Install Date: Sat 23 Feb 2008 09:55:47 AM GMT      Build Host:
xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
smartmontools-5.37-8.5.fc9.src.rpm
Size        : 671580                           License: GPLv2+
Signature   : (none)
Packager    : Fedora Project
URL         : http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
Summary     : Tools for monitoring SMART capable hard disks
Description :
The smartmontools package contains two utility programs (smartctl
and smartd) to control and monitor storage systems using the Self-
Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology System (SMART) built
into most modern ATA and SCSI hard disks. In many cases, these
utilities will provide advanced warning of disk degradation and
failure.
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smartd
/etc/smartd.conf
/etc/sysconfig/smartmontools
/usr/sbin/smartctl
/usr/sbin/smartd
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/CHANGELOG
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/INSTALL
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/README
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/TODO
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/WARNINGS
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/examplescripts
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/examplescripts/Example1
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/examplescripts/Example2
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/examplescripts/Example3
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/examplescripts/Example4
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/examplescripts/README
/usr/share/doc/smartmontools-5.37/smartd.conf
/usr/share/man/man5/smartd.conf.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/smartctl.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/smartd.8.gz