Fedora8 x86_64: error starting GNOME Settings Daemon

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 18:38:10 UTC 2008

hi,

It seem like there is an error/missing/mixup with "/usr/libexec/gnome-
settings-daemon" - file.   On a couple of occasion I have received the same
packages for i386 and X86_64 during updates.

1. Often installed packets with pirut,  then run yum updates.
2. I have also used Yum extender to install or remove packets.
3. Yum extender and pirut do sometimes report different packets installed.
( I may remove/install with one of them, but this is not noticed by the other )
4. I also found that yum extender fetch files from different repositories, and
there might be a question if repositories are in sync ?

I am stuck, as I don't know what to do - I would hate to be forced to reinstall
the whole system,  as the install DVD is not updated,  and I will end up
in all the troubles with the errors that the update package program introduce
with the new xorg-driver that doesn't work from the install DVD.  The new
driver ( xorg-ati) doesn't set up links,  doesn't update configuration files,
and other stuff.

Also synaptics device setting will be removed, and gsynaptics does by
the way lack icons in the menu.  If a ksynaptics is installed,  there is a mess
as changes done in one, isn't reflected in the other. So in many cases your
settings has no effect unless you make sure both are the same. Ksynaptics
can adjust the touch area size, which gsynaptics don't.  gsynaptics has effect
on a much smaller area of the touchpad, and if you get outside the area,
the curser go hiwire or will simply start scrolling on it's own with out any finger
touch.

//ARNE

"Arne Chr. Jorgensen" <achrisjo at yahoo.com> wrote: Receive this lately during login,  message says -
"The last error message was:  Failed to execute program /usr/libexec/gnome-
settings-daemon: Success
GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in."

//ARNE

To unsubscribe: