Rawhide questions

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 19:46:17 UTC 2008

I am running rawhide updated as of today with kde.

1) With a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop defining both DESKTOP and DISPLAYMANAGER
to be "KDE" the system will boot to the kdm login manager

There seems to be no way to configure the login manager as root.
In kde 3.5 there was an administrator mode - this seems to be absent in kde4.

Does anyone know if this is being implemented?

2) The kde4 desktop is partly configurable but the menus are quite different
to kde 3.5.  Some of the settings are not implemented yet, and on the taskbar
there are some icons that don't appear to do anything and no popup info
appears with a mouse hover to say what they are. Anyone know what the extra
two icons are? One is between the network information icon and the klipper
and the other is a terminal icon but it won't do anything. The taskbar seems
not as configurable as in kde 3.5 unless I have missed something?

3) As the login starts there is a dialog screen that pops up behind the splash
screen concerning pulseaudio - if I quickly his "cancel" before the kde login
completes then it will continue to login and give me a usable desktop but
if I just wait then by the time the login completes the mouse and keyboard
are locked up and I cannot do anything except ctrl-alt backspace to leave x.

4) The keyboard appears to be still the US keyboard even though I had it set
to the UK keyboard - does anyone know if this will be fixed soon?

Other than that it is a lot better than a week ago!