Is It Worth Installing F9 Alpha?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Mar 10 00:54:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> John Summerfield wrote:
> > Robert L Cochran wrote:
> >

> >> Thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess I'll wait for the beta
> >> release. March 20 or so...that's not long.
> >
> > You can, of course, continue to read about things that don't work.
> > Just in case you are tempted to throw caution to the wind:-)
> >
> My impression is that there may not be that many testers of Fedora
> 9. Or at least, fewer people seem to be posting about Fedora 9 bugs.
> I wonder if momentum for the Fedora distro has slowed a bit? Fedora
> Core 1 seemed to have many testers...now Fedora 9 seems to have
> fewer folks out there. But then I may not be very observant.

fewer testers may actually be a good sign.  in the early days, fedora
may have been a novelty that only the hard-core geeks were willing to
play with, so they were happy to bang away on it and risk having
things blow up in their faces.

today, fedora has gained enough mainstream acceptance that people are
using it in production and they're just too darned busy running a
stable shop to mess around with alpha releases anymore.

in short, maybe it's 'cuz fedora has grown up.  or something like
that.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.