Is It Worth Installing F9 Alpha?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Mar 10 06:12:07 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Robert L Cochran wrote:

>>> My impression is that there may not be that many testers of Fedora 9. Or
>>> at least, fewer people seem to be posting about Fedora 9 bugs. I wonder
>>> if momentum for the Fedora distro has slowed a bit? Fedora Core 1 seemed
>>> to have many testers...now Fedora 9 seems to have fewer folks out there.
>>> But then I may not be very observant.
>>
>> Well, we're not up to beta yet, and this alpha is a good one to miss.
>> I say that as one who has it.
>
> I prefer the point of view that, due to installing the alpha, *many*
> bugs have been identified in what will be a release full of incredible
> advances. ;)
Oyes, but it's a bit late for that.

> And it really is... PackageKit, ConsoleKit, PolicyKit, upstart,
upstart eh? I met that on ubuntu, I'm glad to see it. It probably
explains another bug: this doesn't work:
[summer at localhost ~]$ egrep mingetty.*clear /etc/inittab
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear tty1
[summer at localhost ~]$

I'm not the only one who does that, I did it when someone else had a
problem and I was trying to help out.