rsyslog "kernel modules not enabled"

Jonathan Kamens jonathan.kamens at tamalesoftware.com
Mon Mar 10 18:17:43 UTC 2008

With rsyslog from Rawhide, I get this logged whenever I send rsyslogd a
reload symbol: "No module symbols loaded - kernel modules not enabled."
Can anybody tell me what this means and what I should do about it?

Note that I'm using 2.6.23.1-49.fc8; I don't know whether this is
relevant.  I can't use the current Rawhide kernel because it causes my
system to lock up (at least, it did the last time I tried - there's a
long bug in Bugzilla about it) and because it's incompatible with VMware
Server 1.0.4 (or, at least, the last time I tried, I couldn't get the
VMware Server kernel modules to compile against a current Rawhide
kernel).

  Jik