weird permissions /var/lib/gdm/.gvfs

Johann B. Gudmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Mon Mar 10 21:40:10 UTC 2008

Will Woods wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 21:15 +0000, Johann B. Gudmundsson wrote:
>
>> Anyone else seeing weird permissions on /var/lib/gdm/.gvfs
>>
>> Had an error access error on  /var/lib/gdm/.gvfs
>>
>> ls -alh reveals ...
>> d?????????  ? ?    ?       ?                ? .gvfs
>>
>> [root at localhost gdm]# chmod 0700 .gvfs
>> chmod: cannot access `.gvfs': Permission denied
>>
>> [root at localhost gdm]# rm -rf .gvfs
>> rm: cannot remove `.gvfs': Permission denied
>>
>> [root at localhost gdm]# stat .gvfs
>> stat: cannot stat `.gvfs': Permission denied
>>
>> [root at localhost gdm]# ls -il .gvfs
>> ls: cannot access .gvfs: Permission denied
>>
>> Anyone with master degree on how to remove this file...
>>

> Don't.
>
> Beyond the obvious "why the hell would you go around deleting files
> willy-nilly unless you *want* to break your system" speech, here's the
> deal - .gvfs is a FUSE filesystem mount point.

Because I can.. well in this case actually not :)
And if things are properly code they check if file/directory exist if
not created it...

Hence first try to correct/change permission to see if the error goes
away...
I tried to mv .gvfs to .gvfs-not-working with the same result..
Since that did not work tried to delete it and then see if it gets recreated
if the recreation fails then remove reinstall package that brought it in
the first place..
and see if it would have been recreated with correct permissions..

Best regards.
                   Johann B.