Is It Worth Installing F9 Alpha? (upstart)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Mar 11 05:30:23 UTC 2008

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 10:38:06AM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>>> If I understand things correctly, which here should not be assumed,
>>> this is not a bug but a feature.
>>>
>>> OTOH it seems to me that this detail that scripts in /etc/event.d/
>>> are not marked "config" is a BUG.
>>>
>> I think it's bug that /etc/inittab didn't get translated in the upgrade
>> from f8 to f9a.
>
> Here we come again to a "config" problem.  /etc/inittab is marked as
> a configuration file.  Even if that would get translated that would
> not help you at all as on the next update all these translations
> would be silently clobbered.  Those files likely should be even
> "config noreplace".

I don't see a problem with translating /etc/inittab when upstart is
first installed. Not doing so leads to a problem, translating my
modifications seems sensible. I could maybe forgive its missing the
change for mingetty on tty though I think it should be doable, but the
additions seem pretty straightforward. Having done the translation, hide
inittab with the usual rename.