Is It Worth Installing F9 Alpha? (upstart)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Mar 11 15:48:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:30:23PM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> >
> >Here we come again to a "config" problem.  /etc/inittab is marked as
> >a configuration file.  Even if that would get translated that would
> >not help you at all as on the next update all these translations
> >would be silently clobbered.  Those files likely should be even
> >"config noreplace".
>
> I don't see a problem with translating /etc/inittab when upstart is
> first installed.

You are clearly missing the point.  There are no essential problems
with translating on the first installation.  There are troubles
with keeping those translations intact across upstart updates.
Or you are proposing to keep /etc/inittab indefinitely as a kind
of a "master" configuration and run those translations every
time upstart is updated?  That does not sound very appealing.

> Having done the translation, hide
> inittab with the usual rename.

And what happens the next time when an update showed up?  Keep in
mind that your translations are not marked as configuration files.

   Michal