Backlog proposals, now and future - Special Bug Triage meeting, 2008-03-12 17:00UTC

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 17:25:26 UTC 2008

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson said the following on 03/11/2008 10:03 AM Pacific
Time:

> As in about bugs that provide enough information and can be duplicated
> but dont get any response,
> not a simple we are working on it, or have not manage to solve this yet
> or this is proving harder to fix then expect
> Some response to the bug reporter(s) so they know something is being
> done and his bug report is not in vain....

Who are you suggesting should leave this message?  Seems me it would
need to be the package maintainer--not the bug triager who is simply the
initial filter and does not speak for the package maintainer.

FWIW, I expect that the process of relaunching the triage process AND
initiating backlog process is going to stir things up and at times be
painful.  I think I speak for the other triagers in that we want to
minimize as much of the pain as we can and are not seeking to be
disruptive and "change things" just because because the opportunity is
there.  We want to make Fedora better :)

Right now I think it is hard to know where we stand and what the true
issues are given the current state of many of the bugs.  The only way
we've been able to think of so far to get things going is start over as
best we can--start triaging new bugs and resolve the old ones as best we
can.

> A happy bug reporter is a returning bug reporter...

Completely agree :)

I've been wondering if there is a better way to set "bug reporter
expectations"?  IOW is it a realistic expectation for someone to believe
that every time they file a legitimate (real) bug that it will be fixed?
  If the answer is 'no' how do we convey that message kindly and in a
way that makes sense without alleviating people and discouraging them
from reporting bugs?

John