Backlog proposals, now and future - Special Bug Triage meeting, 2008-03-12 17:00UTC

Johann B. Gudmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Tue Mar 11 18:19:54 UTC 2008

John Poelstra wrote:
> Jóhann B. Guðmundsson said the following on 03/11/2008 10:03 AM
> Pacific Time:
>

>> As in about bugs that provide enough information and can be
>> duplicated but dont get any response,
>> not a simple we are working on it, or have not manage to solve this
>> yet or this is proving harder to fix then expect
>> Some response to the bug reporter(s) so they know something is being
>> done and his bug report is not in vain....
>
> Who are you suggesting should leave this message?  Seems me it would
> need to be the package maintainer--not the bug triager who is simply
> the initial filter and does not speak for the package maintainer.

Anyone that takes it out of BugZappers hands is the one that should
respond to the  bug reporter be the package maintainer developer or the
person that it's assigned to as in assigning not confirming
( If we assign it to some one, theres no use get the needed info
duplicate confirming bugs if theres no one who takes it from there) ....

> FWIW, I expect that the process of relaunching the triage process AND
> initiating backlog process is going to stir things up and at times be
> painful.  I think I speak for the other triagers in that we want to
> minimize as much of the pain as we can and are not seeking to be
> disruptive and "change things" just because because the opportunity is
> there.  We want to make Fedora better :)
>
> Right now I think it is hard to know where we stand and what the true
> issues are given the current state of many of the bugs.  The only way
> we've been able to think of so far to get things going is start over
> as best we can--start triaging new bugs and resolve the old ones as
> best we can.
If there is an opportunity than it is now when things are being
refined,  redesigned and cleaned up...

>> A happy bug reporter is a returning bug reporter...
>
> Completely agree :)
>
> I've been wondering if there is a better way to set "bug reporter
> expectations"?  IOW is it a realistic expectation for someone to
> believe that every time they file a legitimate (real) bug that it will
> be fixed?  If the answer is 'no' how do we convey that message kindly
> and in a way that makes sense without alleviating people and
> discouraging them from reporting bugs?
>
> John

I think the only expectation a bug reporter has is being heard instead
of ignored ( and he feels ignore if no one is there to reply to him, the
longer the worse it gets ), that the things that he reported get fixed
is just an add on bonus..
When it comes down to it in the end BugZapper will have to make the
excuse and I guess the blame as well ( EOL - ing his bug frustration
goes to the last person that responded and in the end against the whole
project )...

Does any one know how good developers/maintainers are on cleaning out
bug reports after things get fixed ( just know it from my own personal
experience that some people are better in resolving tickets than others,
not that  things
dont get done they just don't  get resolved.. so I think the same can be
applied here.. )

I think after BugZappers have parsed through the bug they don't touch it
again.
As in after it has been accepted/confirmed then the responsibility on
replying/resolving  is in the hand of the person(s) that takes it from
there and I actually think they are the ones that should do the actual
EOL ...

How is that process by the way is there any persons or group of persons
that we assign bugs to or will they just be left in Bugzilla in the hope
that some one picks it up?.

Best regards
                   Johann B.