Continuing the saga: F9alpha AMD-64 HP DC7700 SFF switch_root: no filesystems

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 12 05:52:59 UTC 2008

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:32:05AM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Michal Jaegermann wrote:
>>> Does the following look familiar?
>> Looks familiar, but I don't think it's the same. I don't get a timeout.
>
> That is true.  Still there are close analogies.  Not sure but
> that timeout could be an effect of BIOS (possibly indirectly).
> Or maybe this is another surprise from libata.
>
>> nvidia chips. Mine are Chipzilla.
>>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/9/136
>
> So you are using ata_piix.  Does not change the general issue.

That is true, but it seems to be working for most people, so it seems
the code generally works, and it's an area where problems are very
likely dependent on the chipset and maybe BIOS as well. I have an HP
BIOS; while it's possible that two different vendors have the same bad
BIOS interaction with the OS, I don't think it highly likely. Ditto
interactions between chipset and OS.

I think it more probable that libata and the rest have several bugs.

I was hoping that I'd see something bleeding obvious like a missing module

>> The Jones boy think it's mkinitrd. I'm sceptical,
>
> I think that you are right.  A picture you attached may suggest
> initrd, as this is only a small fragment, but dmesg you posted from
> 2.6.25-0.90.rc3.git5.fc9 shows that

Seems there are three Jones boys. This one's Peter. It's assigned to
him, and WW has asked a question. PJ's been around long enough to know
what's what, but I'm still sceptical.

> ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 221 SControl 300)          <----!!!
> ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
> ata2.00: ATAPI: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-212, 1.21, max UDMA/66
> ata2.00: configured for UDMA/66
> scsi 1:0:0:0: CD-ROM            PIONEER  DVD-RW  DVR-212  1.21 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
>
> So your CD-ROM is identified but you have no disk.  If you are not
> booting from somewhere else into a ramdisk it is hard to expect for
> this to work.
>
> "Lost disks" is what basically happened in bugzilla 436591.
> I got around, but not without other side-effects, by replacing
> BIOS; but I mention in comments other reports of the same sort.

I agree. Andrew F has my problem (I presume on the same/similar
hardware), but it doesn't see to trouble him quite so much.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait