Building a kernel module separately

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 12 06:58:56 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> btw Is there a way to tell yumdownloader which source to get? it seems
>> only capable of getting the latest.
>
> It will only fetch sources from the current repo which will only have
> the latest.  You can get the prior srpms out of koji.
>
>> Oh, there's only nearly another kernel. I've got the source, not the
>> binaries.
>
> BTW, our hardware is pretty different I think, both my internal disks
> are pata133 40Gb WD drives, and the same issues happen on my Macbook
> running VMware Fusion x86_64 Rawhide guests.  Both those systems needed
> to run the early 2.6.24 kernels I had mentioned before in order to
> install the 2.6.25 kernels.

That goes to explain why your results aren't exactly the same as mine.

> And interestingly enough, kernel 2.6.25-0.105.rc5.fc9 boots after having
> installed from 2.6.25-0.95.rc5.fc9 on my macbook guests (this is the
> first 2.6.25 kernel that worked when installed from 2.6.25).

I found a mirror with a collection of .24 kernels source.

I was hoping to have a better plan of attack, but basically it's
rpm -i them both
rpmbuild -bp them both

Note this trick:
rpmbuild  -bp --nodeps --define %_topdir\ /home/summer/<someplace>

Shuffle source
make mrproper
copy a config from /boot
make help
make <what seems least bother>
make xconfig # to review selections
make && make modules && sudo make install && sudo  make modules_install
reboot

Of course, this might not work, the changes Will mentioned suggest so.