Need assistance

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 14:55:50 UTC 2008

John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

>  Really, rawhide isn't for beginners. If you want something that will
>  (probably) just work, the Fedora 8 is about the best choice for now.

I agree, and it would be an extra hurdle for me. I am not sure about the
status at the very moment, but when the source for some kernel modules are
missing in the kernel package - and none can help me to get the source, and
the answers they give is: "just get it from rawhide", then well..how do you
do that ? ( answers may then be like you say: rawhide isn't for beginners. )
What are a poor guy suppose to do ? ( my answer: well, then I somehow need to
learn, or I am left out on a limb )

John Summerfield <debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

>    Andrew Farris wrote:
>    > Arne Chr. Jorgensen wrote:
>
>    >
>    > Anyone can get a fedora account. But to become involved with packaging
>    > or directly editing software you need cvs commit access, and to get that
>    > you need to have a sponsor (someone who already has that access and is
>    > willing to work with you to make sure you know how the fedora system
>    > works). I'm not one of those people, just a tester.
>
>    I expect you also need a reputation for getting in and doing stuff.
>    Testing, finding and fixing bugs, writing documentation.

Yes, all that makes sense. But now that I can look around some at the wiki
pages, - Found something Jon Stanley have written:
" If you'd prefer a little training first, we are in the process of arranging some online training sessions ...."

Jolly god, just hope it isn't just empty words. Everything seem so nice on
page.

I have followed and tried to participate on this list. Think there is a monthly
subscription reminder - where a few things could be included, such as:

Who is who - meaning: " If you start at a new workplace, it is custom that
someone shows you around, telling who is leading this or that department,
- In this case: who you may email directly if there is something you wonder
about. Such info could/should be part of their signature email.

I know people are busy, and I hate to bug anyone in such a way without permission.

I added your name in my address book, hoping it will be okay if I email you
directly if there is some item I am confused about.  I broke this rule,
took the liberty to CC: both Andrew Farris and Jon Stanly, with my last email.
( and hope that they will not be upset about it )

But as I say, everywhere else - it is common that you get some contact person,
which you may contact if there is anything you wonder or have trouble with.
I sincerly hope you all will consider it some thought.

So that the next guy may avoid wasting everyones energy and time. A short
message to the right person, is just like providing the needed info correctly
in bugzilla.

So that the next guy may not have to waste everyones energy, make uneeded public postings, embarress himself or any others, etc.

As for my hardware - I was in dire need of a portable computer which I can
run and develope scientific programs. I have lost a year of possible work.

I asked RedHat what laptops they support, and for their advice:
- They couldn't help. ( ?? )
- Hewlett-Packard, and others.
- ( perhaps Dell, but some have had problems )
- ( in the end - I was forced to pick one locally )

So this is the damn bottleneck, and Fedora have in my experience been better
then anyone else.

I want to thank you all - and I want to support Fedora.

As for bugzilla:

1. Why not change the form, use the "Resolution" field and change it to
computer model.

2. File bugs against wireless

3. I will use it, check what computer works, which doesn't

4. I'll reclaim the money spent for Windows, and that can be payed to Fedora

5. I would buy a computer with a RedHat sticker instead of Windows !

6. If Broadcom is that difficult, let us rip the card out and get it
replaced with something that works, if nothing else can be done. At least,
- uttering this, or complain about their lack of info, well...why shouldn't
our voice be heard. Why should we live at the mercy of anyone ?

7. Was it Ambassadors, or - there was some University Tour to promote RedHat.
- well, the education system are in some trouble. People have struggled to
make educational programs, but students/parents are fooled, imo. As many of
the noteboks/laptops are suited for video-games and movies, not schoolwork !

Thank you John, and everybody else

//ARNE