wish list

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Fri Mar 14 00:32:57 UTC 2008

Hi Arne,

Welcome to Fedora.

Arne Chr. Jorgensen said the following on 03/12/2008 10:09 AM Pacific Time:
> wish list:
>
> - learn who you are, what speciality or main tasks you have
> - If I can mail direct emails to those persons
> - learn to file bugs in a proper way
> - get my own server up an running, with koji, git, rawhide, etc.
> - learn these things, development, debugging, packing, what ever.
> - I want to get my hands on white-papers and stuff, so that I can
>   look into the mystery of hardware/kernel issues, or get some
>   real answers to these questions.
> - I may co-work on issues, but prefere to work with this on my
>   own server. I do not want to be in anyones face, or be a risk hazard,
>   or so on.
> - The easiest way I can think of to get things in order, would be if
>   someone could assist me in setting this stuff up. I can give you
>   login to my hardware, you could have an account. ( just have to
>   sort out some speed issues with my ISP )
> - in return I may try to be of assistance to you. I may try to
>   solve some tasks and issues.
>
> Trouble is,  I will never get there the way things has been, and not be
> able to get pass the silly bottle-necks.

One of your other posts was about testing rawhide... why not set some
short term goals like getting a stable setup working on Fedora 8 where
you can do IRC, update your box and do all the basics?  The
fedora-list at redhat.com focuses on these kind of topics.

You might consider just reading the mailing lists for a while and
watching what goes on to get the pulse of how things work.  You have a
lot of good ideas, and who knows maybe some of them will be adopted :)
Open source communities are unique groups and they all seem to work in
slightly different ways... some of which may not appear to be efficient.

However... when you go to a foreign country or a new place, at least in
my experience, things seems to go a lot better if you comply with the
local laws and customs and run with the herd for a while.  I think you
will find that people are willing to help you, but it is usually better
to post one or two questions and then WAIT for an answer versus carpet
bombing the list with all your problems.

> Alternative - I'll team up with Suse or any other ..

Nothing will turn people off quicker or not want to help you than
threatening to leave.  It sounded like you were asking for their help,
not the other way around :)

John

p.s. No, I do not wish to receive private emails.  This list works great :)