X.org server 1.5: An ABI Too Far?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 20:30:34 UTC 2008

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> Should Rawhide switch back to a supported version of X.org,
> or at least make it an option?  Much of what makes a desktop
> contemporary depends on features in the Nvidia driver not
> presented in the nv driver.
>
> I Googled around and didn't find any explanation of what
> fantastic wonders await us with the new ABI.  I did get the
> impression the new X.org ABI isn't even settled yet, let alone
> finished and implemented.
> If that is true,  perhaps Fedora should stick with a working
> version of X until the support for the New X is there.  Or at
> least provide a working (e.g., Compiz et al.) X as a choice.

Quite honestly, I think this is an nVidia problem, for the failure to at least
publicly state they are in motion on this... the fact that the 1.5 ABI is not
permanent/stable yet is a very small hurdle to them.  Their official position
has been stated at nvnews.net that they intend to wait for the official release
of xorg 7.4.  I think the unstable ABI is being used as an excuse not to get the
driver done.  It will look bad on both their part and on Fedora's part *again*
if a Fedora release goes out on which the nvidia proprietary driver cannot be
used.  I don't think it is something that is Fedora's problem though.  My view
is that a very small group of people are currently maintaining the xorg drivers,
have them working *very well* for many other drivers and hardware which have
open 3d specs, and those same very few people would love to have the opportunity
to maintain nvidia's driver too.

If nVidia wants to continue with the completely closed driver route, I feel its
their responsibility to make the resources available for their people to move
ahead on this.  By the time the new X ABI is released a driver should be done,
and preferably beta tested.  Getting it ready sooner than later would show
continued dedication to providing quality support to the linux community.