Kernel crash on F8 last update

Guillaume guitouu at free.fr
Tue Mar 18 07:44:49 UTC 2008

hi,

I'm running F8 x86_64. I use  only "stable" repository (not "testing")
Yesterday, there was a new kernel update available: 2.6.24.3-34
I install it and boot it.
I get 3 crash in the evening... some times during file copy, some times
during firefox session...
Before crash, I can see in the system monitor that CPU is used at 100%
by "input/output latencies"...
When I ran "top" in a shell, no application use the processor ... but
load average grow up to 8 !
Then computer freeze...
When I restart it, I get some troubles: grub error some times, file
system inconsistency some times !
I retry to boot the computer 15 minutes later and each times, it boot
correctly...
I am surprised... as if computer shall sleep a little to rework :)

Now I boot the previous kernel (2.6.24.3-12) and it works well.
But I think that kernel 2.6.24.3-34 shall not be in stable release ...
The crash is very bad... when computer get load average 8 and on restart
said "file system inconsistency" ... I was a little afraid.

Guillaume.