GNOME settings daemon does not start

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 00:19:05 UTC 2008

Dominik Sandjaja wrote:
> There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

I don't know about this one, the problem comes and goes on both my own systems
in rawhide right now.  I especially have gnome-settings-daemon fail to start
more often when I'm logging in via startx rather than using gdm (currently its
causing an selinux issue for me).

> If anyone could help me to get my German keyboard layout back ... :-)

For the keyboard you want to xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.4.99.901-10.20080314.fc9.
The evdev driver stuff (auto HAL based input device config) is patched out and
that should *hopefully* make your f8 xorg and gnome input setup work fine.  Most
likely even having gnome-settings-daemon work properly is going to leave you
with keyboard issues until that update gets applied.