Correct way to not load ipv6 module f8/9?

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 00:57:48 UTC 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 2:33 PM, Jerry Williams wrote:

> I don't need ipv6 and I tried adding the lines to /etc/modprobe.conf
> to not
> load it but it still happens.
>
> So what is the correct way to not load the ipv6 module?
>
> I have searched and haven't been able to find anything.
> I did move the module out of /lib/modules/kernelversion and that
> works, but
> that seems like the wrong way to do it.
>
> Please point me at a link or let me know the correct way.
> Thanks!

At some point you won't have a choice, but until then, there are ways
to prevent IPv6 configuration on an interface.  Edit the ifcfg-ethX
file and add:

	IPV6INIT=no

If you are using NetworkManager, you may want to edit /etc/sysctl.conf
and add these lines:

	net.ipv6.conf.ethX.accept_ra = 0
	net.ipv6.conf.ethX.accept_redirects = 0
	net.ipv6.conf.ethX.autoconf = 0

For each of your ethernet devices.

We have removed the ability to disable loading the ipv6.ko kernel
module.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI