FlightGear on Rawhide

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 01:04:46 UTC 2008

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> Intel DG33BU motherboard with Intel Graphics 1920x1200
>
> With desktop effects enabled, Flightgear appears on a vacant
> part of the screen, not at 0,0.  But there is no title bar.
>
> Turning off desktop effects allowed GlightGear to run
> with title bar.  However, maximizing FlightGear results
> in a painfully refresh rate.
>
> FlightGear on FC8 with the 9600GT and Nvidia beta
> driver gives a good experience maximized with desktop
> effects enabled.
> I would say the Intel driver and/or the integrated graphics
> just don't have the performance to run FlightGear at
> 1920x1024.  Hence the desire for  more performance.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't expect it to run well at that resolution.  Doesn't
that game have a fullscreen mode with an adjustable resolution you can set in
the config?  With an integrated graphics chipset I would try 1024x768 and then
adjust the quality settings down as well.  You're just not going to get
performance with a shared memory integrated chipset that you'd get from
something slower but dedicated.