Two different applets for updates .. no help content

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Mar 21 01:49:14 UTC 2008

I noticed awhile ago that there were two different applets for updates
and just tried recently to explore them. Before posting questions I
clicked on the help button but no help content was provided.

Anyway, right clocking on the orange star allows you to pick up
installing security updates automatically which is a decent feature for
a wider variety of non-technical users. (nothing, all or security were
choices)
Are we supposed to have two icons or did something not get removed on my
system?

I like the interface for the orange star over the upside down hat. I am
just curious.

Also gdm is mostly working but loads slowly. I am glad it loads
correctly but the delay is outrageous.

The kernel breaking poweroff really is a repeat episode from three
previous times in the past and is getting a bit tiring to resubmit bugs
on the issue. Is this a common problem or did I just get lucky?

This looks like it will be a good release if the speed improves on load
and multiple applets get refined.

Also SEtroubleshooter oes wild on my system and I had to disable it.
Once an episode is encountered it should not bring up a balloon for each
policy infringement. After several thousand denials the system gets a
bit overloaded like a DOS condition. I hope it can be reformed to not
put up a balloon with every episode.

Jim
--
Of course there's no reason for it, it's just our policy.