Thanks for making full disk encryption work

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Mar 21 03:21:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 22:46 +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-03-20, 21:27 GMT, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I would like to thank all of the people who worked to make the full disk
> > encryption feature work.
> > Unfortunately I couldn't do much other than report problems the last few weeks
> > and I appreciate that some of you spent extra time trying to get it working in
> > time for the beta.
>
> Which reminds, how is the migration provided for for us who have
> hand made cryptsetup encrypted partitions already? WOn't upgrade
> screw my /home?

Right now?  Not very well ;-)  dlehman is working on making it so that
we properly recognize pre-existing encrypted partitions, though.
Depending on the scope of the changes, we'll either apply them "soon"
and ask for some targeted testing or we'll have to hold off until F10 in
which case the answer will be the same as it's been for previous
releases -- comment out any encrypted partitions you have and then turn
them back to being mounted once your upgrade is complete

Jeremy