Two different applets for updates .. no help content

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Mar 21 13:53:34 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>> I noticed awhile ago that there were two different applets for updates
>> and just tried recently to explore them. Before posting questions I
>> clicked on the help button but no help content was provided.
>>
>> Anyway, right clocking on the orange star allows you to pick up
>> installing security updates automatically which is a decent feature
>> for a wider variety of non-technical users. (nothing, all or security
>> were choices)
>> Are we supposed to have two icons or did something not get removed on
>> my system?
>>
>> I like the interface for the orange star over the upside down hat. I
>> am just curious.
>
> The orange star is part of PackageKit, it is the default (should be
> only) package system for F9 now.  The other is puplet, part of pirut.
> You do not need pirut any longer.  You should be able to rpm -e pirut.
> Although system-config-printer depends on system-install-packages and
> thats being put into PackageKit so it might not remove easily yet.

I disabled the update daemon for pup right now. The newer update
mechanisms for PackageKit is a lot nicer to use.
As Rahul replied, I might remove pirut since it is no longer the default
for FC9.

>> The kernel breaking poweroff really is a repeat episode from three
>> previous times in the past and is getting a bit tiring to resubmit
>> bugs on the issue. Is this a common problem or did I just get lucky?
>
> My systems seem to work.

I'm currently running 2.6.25-0.113.rc5.git2.fc9
which is the latest kernel that works for poweroff for me. I'll file a
bug for later kernels if kernels later than .121 do the same failure on
poweroff.

>> This looks like it will be a good release if the speed improves on
>> load and multiple applets get refined.
>>
>> Also SEtroubleshooter oes wild on my system and I had to disable it.
>> Once an episode is encountered it should not bring up a balloon for
>> each policy infringement. After several thousand denials the system
>> gets a bit overloaded like a DOS condition. I hope it can be reformed
>> to not put up a balloon with every episode.
>
> With the new version it should have an option to keep the notification
> from showing when you've got setroubleshoot open already.  I haven't
> checked whether that is in the version in rawhide yet, but John Dennis
> got that added after an RFE bug I posted for it.

Thanks!
Jim

--
Anybody can win, unless there happens to be a second entry.