F9 Beta (my first) impressions

Ronald rwarsow at online.de
Tue Mar 25 21:48:49 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:06 -0400, ronald wrote:
>
>> - A netinst-jigdo would be a good think for rawhide testers, which can't
>> boot with the current netinstall.iso's or if iso's temp. not available.
>> (expense/profit ?, I don't know !)
>>

> Can you expand upon this a bit?  The netinst.iso doesn't have very many
> files on it, so I'm not sure what the value of jigdo is vs just
> downloading it from the http server(s).

sure. and I mentioned it with "expense/profit" eg. download ~100 MB
versus building a jigdo.
I don't know how much work is needed to build an jigdo.
as I know and do jigdo takes  parts of an "old" source, maybe the old
netinst.iso and AFAIK gets the rest from the tree.
if I'm right  here, then in the case where no netinstall.iso's avaible
one is able to fresh up his/her iso's from the current rawhide tree.
in the past the tree was always there, a iso not every time.
*and* that iso was always related to the current tree, eg. installing
from rawhide tree with an old iso wasn't possible.

the value could be that someone don't have to wait when there are no
iso's avaiblable. increases testers uptime.
but it was only a thought...

Ronald