F9 Beta (my first) impressions

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 01:11:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:48 -0400, Ronald wrote:
> sure. and I mentioned it with "expense/profit" eg. download ~100 MB
> versus building a jigdo.
> I don't know how much work is needed to build an jigdo.
> as I know and do jigdo takes  parts of an "old" source, maybe the old
> netinst.iso and AFAIK gets the rest from the tree.
> if I'm right  here, then in the case where no netinstall.iso's
> avaible
> one is able to fresh up his/her iso's from the current rawhide tree.
> in the past the tree was always there, a iso not every time.
> *and* that iso was always related to the current tree, eg. installing
> from rawhide tree with an old iso wasn't possible.
>
> the value could be that someone don't have to wait when there are no
> iso's avaiblable. increases testers uptime.
> but it was only a thought...

The reasons isos aren't there from time to time is because the tree
itself is broken in various ways that prevented the creation of the iso.
This should happen far less now that we're past beta and past the
feature freeze.  There is some merit to keeping the previous day or 3's
worth of netinst.iso files around for the sake of using them to install
with, and I'll be looking for some clever and easy to use ways of doing
that during the F10 process.

--
Jesse Keating