No luck with the beta on Acer 4720z laptop

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Mar 27 01:39:38 UTC 2008

For some reason, neither Rawhide nor F9-beta like my video card.

This is an Acer 4720z laptop, with an Intel Mobile GM956/GL960 graphics
controller.  On Rawhide, I would get a screen with abstract blotches.
With F9 beta, I get a white background and nothing else.

It seems to be a problem with the card, since, when I tried it on a
tower with an NVIDIA card, there were no issues.

I haven't seen anyone else with the issue, so it could simply be flakey
hardware on a cheap laptop.

(The similar Anaconda bugs that I've seen are more reproducible.)

I haven't tried the Beta live CD's yet, but with Rawhide, there were no
problems--it seems to just be an Anaconda issue.

At this point, I'm just wondering--anyone else having issues with cheap
laptops that have integrated Intel cards?

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: Why couldn't he be possessed by a puppy, or some
ducks?