Network printer

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Mar 27 13:58:42 UTC 2008

Antonio M wrote:
> 2008/3/27, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>:
>
>> Antonio M wrote:
>>  > 2008/3/27, Tim Waugh <twaugh at redhat.com>:
>>  >
>>  >> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 11:53 +0100, Antonio M wrote:
>>  >>  > I have a mixed network with Windows XP, F8 and F9 (rawhide)
>>  >>  > I am sharing an HP Laserprinter (that is attached to the XP machine)
>>  >>  > and I can print from F8 computer, but I can't from F9.
>>  >>  > Setup is similar. Printer is detected from config-system-printer on
>>  >>  > both F8 and F9 but when I print a test page from F9 nothing happens.
>>  >>  > I gave a look to log files for cups but I didn't see anything strange!!!
>>  >>  > Where shall I start to look from scratch????
>>  >>  > Cups is v.1.3.6 on both Fedora machines.
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> Try using the troubleshooter: from system-config-printer, select
>>  >>  Help->Troubleshoot.  It probably won't be able to find your problem
>>  >>  specifically, but will most likely have some useful information that you
>>  >>  will be able to paste into a bug report.
>>  >>
>>  >>  Thanks,
>>  >>  Tim.
>>  >>  */
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> --
>>  >>  fedora-test-list mailing list
>>  >>  fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>>  >>  To unsubscribe:
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  > Filed as:
>>  >  Bug 439154: Cannot print on a Windows shared printer
>>  >

>> Just tested setting up 2 printers through S-C-P
>>  ( HP Laserjet 9000 and HP color Laserjet 4600 )
>>  with "windows" authentication against AD
>>
>>  The network printers are sett up on cups printer server (
>>  cups-1.2.4-11.14.el5_1.4 )
>>  running on RHEL 5
>>
>>  Worked flawlessly :)
>>
>>  Which show the smb authentication faze is working.. ( at least against
>>  2003 AD )
>>
>>  Maybe the printer job is getting dropped on the xp end?
>>
>>  Sure you don't have "allow" FC9 beta machine to print on the XP machine
>>  ( share/firewall/antivirus on xp ??? )
>>
>>  Best regards
>>                     Johann B.
>>
>> --
>>

> Johann
>
> 1) I am testing F9, no problem with F8 and same cups, and also with
> first release of F9.Unfortunately I made updates in the meantime but i
> didn't print much since then...

On the same machine, same usernames?

If not what happens if you give it the ip address of the other machine..

> 2) There is no firewall on the XP machine

If connected to the "outside world" bad idea
but it necessarily does not have to be the firewall..
( Have come accross weird problems between M$ releases and or service
packs, firewall and antivirus products )
> 3) I guess that something is wrong with samba (but it is a shot in the
> dark, no idea where to begin...)

Well at least I can confirm that smb printing is working correctly to
our printers server and AD.
Things get authenticated correctly and get printed.

And from the looks of it you last comment on the bug report it seems
that samba is working..

So I suggest M$ being the culprit in these matters... ( things being
blocked dropped or not allowed )

Best regard
                   Jóhann B.