install from rsync tree on local partition possible?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Mar 27 21:36:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 07:48:19PM +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> I have an rsync tree of rawhide on a local f8 partition.
> I would like to install rawhide to another partition.
> Is there a way without generating iso images?

I would think so.

> I can boot from a cd containing
> the boot.iso, but it seems there is no menu for this situation.

Just add vmlinuz and initrd.img from the current installation images
to your f8 boot partition and make a corresponding grub entry.  Boot
this and that should get you anaconda running with a root on a
ramdisk.

> It should be a sort of nfs in method, but using as a target the local tree top
> on a local partition....

I did not look yet at the latest anaconda but it used to have
among installation methods "from a local disk partition"
(or something to that effect).  That is what you are trying to find.

   Michal