install from rsync tree on local partition possible?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 03:53:56 UTC 2008

Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 07:48:19PM +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
>> I have an rsync tree of rawhide on a local f8 partition.
>> I would like to install rawhide to another partition.
>> Is there a way without generating iso images?
>
> I would think so.
>
>> I can boot from a cd containing
>> the boot.iso, but it seems there is no menu for this situation.
>
> Just add vmlinuz and initrd.img from the current installation images
> to your f8 boot partition and make a corresponding grub entry.  Boot
> this and that should get you anaconda running with a root on a
> ramdisk.
>
>> It should be a sort of nfs in method, but using as a target the local tree top
>> on a local partition....
>
> I did not look yet at the latest anaconda but it used to have
> among installation methods "from a local disk partition"
> (or something to that effect).  That is what you are trying to find.

'local hard disk' install requires the iso images to be present on the disk at the
location you specify; afaik there is no way to use local hard disk with loose packages.  I
believe there is an anaconda bug on that subject, but it has not been added since its a
fairly rare use case and one more install path to maintain.