Rawhide 20080328 Snapshot Released

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Mar 29 13:59:14 UTC 2008

I replied to fedora-list but I'm expecting a bounce any moment, I
unsubscribe from it. This seems a better place anyway.

Jesse Keating wrote:
> As part of our development schedule, we are releasing a snapshot of
> Rawhide in iso and Live form.  We are releasing these via bittorrent
> only as it is a much lighter weight method to get bits out the door than
> to go through our mirroring system.  If you cannot use bittorrent we
> apologize for the inconvenience.

Is it difficult to release jigdos?

A problem with bittorrent (other than intolerant firewalls) its that
many broadband offerings, such as ADSL, that are designed around the
assumption that most users download more than they upload, and I gather
peer2peer networking, such as bittorrent, doesn't work so well as it's
designed to prefer sending over receiving[1].

In Oz - I can't speak for other locations - IAPs tend to either mirror
popular downloads (including rawhide in my case) or peer with some other
IAPs and share mirrors.

And then some of us download the whole box and dice ourselves, and could
easily and quickly assemble it off their own network.

[1] It's serious enough a problem that some are seeking to "manage"
traffic by breaking connexions, and others are reviewing their charging
regimes. IAPs here that previously did not charge for uploads are now
reversing that practice.

_I_ think they must, they're not getting the expected return from their
investment and shareholders care about that.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait