install from rsync tree on local partition possible?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 21:13:17 UTC 2008

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:23:48 +0800 John Summerfield wrote:
> man mkisofs

So here we are. I created a 13Gb iso from the tree (updated today) with the
command:
mkisofs -v -U -J -R -T -f -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -V "Fedora rawhide i386
DVD" -o rawhide_290308.iso /dir_of_rsync_tree

NOTE: the date in the command is two days ago because I tried at that time,
but also today after updating tree (and without changing iso file name) but
with the same install errors (see below).
I'm able to mount the iso created as a loop device in my f8.
I'm able to use this iso image as dvd in qemu-kvm to start an install (I
stopped it after the screen with language selection...).
Then I burned the boot.iso file of the tree on a cdrw.
Then I booted it and chose an hard disk install type.
I  point to the partition and dir with the iso file and I see the message
"local install media detected".
Suddenly then I get a traceback.
I attach console screen (installer exited abnormally[1/1]). The screenshot
is only for the latest lines in the screen....
Using Alt+Fkeys I can see respectively these on them (I got all screenshots
with digikam if it can be useful) on various consoles:
3) path to valid iso found (name is rawhide 290308.iso but it was rsynced
today with anaconda-11.4.0.61-1); try to mount; mounted; detected stage2
image on cd
4) iso9660 joliet level 3; unable to load NLS charset utf8;  iso9660
extensions: rrip_1991A;  isofs: unable to identify cd-rom format; vfs: can't
find an ext2 filesystem on /dev/loop0 (several times);
5) mount, wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock  on /dev/loop0
(several times)
... (typical other 3 lines when  you try to mount a bad file on a loop
device)

So it seems that local hard disk iso image method doesn't work either with
13Gb iso image.... Correct?
Or other suggestions...?

Thanks
Gianluca