Installation changing the Partition Label

John M Cavallo johnc0102 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 30 20:16:30 UTC 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008 01:23:50 am Andrew Farris wrote:
> John M Cavallo wrote:
> > When installing Fedora 9 onto an existing partition that already has a
> > label, the installer will change the label to "/". If there is an
> > existing partition with this label the system will fail to boot. If there
> > is an existing installation on the computer that uses the labels in its
> > fstab, it will fail to boot as well. Could the custom partition editor
> > either keep the existing label or allow the user to set the partition
> > label with the existing label as a default?
>
> The F9 system /etc/fstab should have had UUIDs rather than labels specified
> to mount the partitions.  Is that not the case after your install?  Having
> two partitions labeled '/' should work fine.
>
> --
> Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> www.lordmorgul.net
>   gpg 0xC99B1DF3 fingerprint CDEC 6FAD BA27 40DF 707E A2E0 F0F6 E622 C99B
> 1DF3 No one now has, and no one will ever again get, the big picture. -
> Daniel Geer ----
>            ----
The problem isn't with Fedora 9, it with the other installations of Fedora on
that computer. They use the previous standard of LABEL=??? and fail to boot.
I thought that previous versions of the installer would honor the existing
labels, at least I have never noticed this problem before.

I was mistaken about Fedora 9 failing to boot, there was another problem which
I have since cleared up.