Installation changing the Partition Label

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Mar 30 22:39:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 04:16:30PM -0400, John M Cavallo wrote:
> The problem isn't with Fedora 9, it with the other installations of Fedora on
> that computer. They use the previous standard of LABEL=??? and fail to boot.

I miss something here.  Why anaconda writing a new fstab which
is using UUID identifiers would affect how other installations
are booting?  Those should be really independent.  Are you trying
to tell that anaconda now writes non-unique labels and confuses
what existed on this disk before?  That is easy to fix although
anaconda should not "recycle" labels even if it writes something
with UUIDs.  If it does then file a bug.

> I thought that previous versions of the installer would honor the existing
> labels, at least I have never noticed this problem before.

My rawhide installation coexists with a number of other
installations on the same machine and everything boots.

   Michal