Live CD ( 686 ) rawhide install

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Mar 31 13:26:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 13:05 +0000, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?
J=F3hann_B._Gu=F0mundsson _ wrote:
> Selinux enabled on live cd needed?
> Would it not increase boot up not having it enabled..

SELinux still makes sense on a Live image, especially when that live
image is installed to the hdd.

> User should not be asked to create password for there WiFi connection
> the password should be taken from the provided account.

That's actually a pretty poor security job.  Your passphrase for your
password list should be different than your login password.  That way
anybody who compromises your login password still can't get to the rest
of your stored passwords/passphrases.

> pub/pirut enabled why?
> Are we gonna "updated" the live cd!

Actually yes, you can apply updates to a Live image as it's running and
use the new software.  Also these make sense to have enabled once you
install to the harddrive.

> Installation went smoothly tho canceling might need more testing
> was trying to back out after I realized that I had forgotten to
> change
> grub to install
> on first boot partition instead of mbr and the at the same time being
> spammed about
> provide-ing passwords to the encrypted drives ( the installation was
> being install on
> free space on hd.  Why am I asked to provide passwords to my
> encrypted
> partitions )
> image still got transfered to hd thou trying to cancell.

We default to encrypted partitions, so you were being asked to provide a
passphrase for the encryption.  Upon reboot you would be prompted for
this passphrase before boot would continue.  Likewise this passphrase
would be necessary to access the content on that partition from any
other machine.  It's a security measure to protect your data.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)