F9 Beta install problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 31 14:40:25 UTC 2008

I tried to install the Fedora 9 Beta (CD version) onto the ancient laptop that
serves as my tester.  The problem started when I got to the partitioning.

The drive in question is small, with and existing install of Mandriva using
hda5 for / and hda6 for /home.  The choices do not seem to include an option
to keep the partitions, simply reformatting one or both, so I tried the
custom partitioning.  It asked me where I wanted to install, but simply
offered hda.  I don't remember clearly (I'll check later if necessary) but I
think there was an Advanced button or similar.  I hit that and got an
exception fault.  Of course the network is not set up at that point, so
sening it anywhere is out of the question.  Nor could it be saved, as
inserting a usb stick is not recognised at that point.

I then started afresh, with a usb stick in place at bootup.  Sure enough it
was offered as one of the available disks.  However, it was still impossible
to save the bug report to the stick.

1 - I'm greatly concerned that it didn't appear to see the existing
partitions.

2 - is there any way at all that I could have captured that output?

Anne