Live CD ( 686 ) rawhide install

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Mar 31 15:08:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 14:50 +0000, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?
J=F3hann_B._Gu=F0mundsson _ wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 13:05 +0000, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?
> > J=F3hann_B._Gu=F0mundsson _ wrote:
> >
> >> Selinux enabled on live cd needed?
> >> Would it not increase boot up not having it enabled..
> >>

> > SELinux still makes sense on a Live image, especially when that live
> > image is installed to the hdd.
> >

> If needed to install as in anaconda can not enable it during the
> installation faze
> from the live cd and or there is no "speedup by disabled it.

Perhaps you missed the part where SELinux is still useful in a Live
environment, particularly with persistence (IE data that is saved
between Live sessions).  Just because it adds a tiny bit of overhead
doesn't mean we should throw it out.

> >> User should not be asked to create password for there WiFi connection
> >> the password should be taken from the provided account.
> >>

> > That's actually a pretty poor security job.  Your passphrase for your
> > password list should be different than your login password.  That way
> > anybody who compromises your login password still can't get to the rest
> > of your stored passwords/passphrases.
> >

> That makes sense from an installed point of view not live cd.

No, it still makes sense from a Live image.

> >> pub/pirut enabled why?
> >> Are we gonna "updated" the live cd!
> >>

> > Actually yes, you can apply updates to a Live image as it's running and
> > use the new software.  Also these make sense to have enabled once you
> > install to the harddrive.
> >

> That makes sense from an installed point of view not live cd unless
> we start releasing updated live cd images, which btw we currently don't..
> >> Installation went smoothly tho canceling might need more testing
> >> was trying to back out after I realized that I had forgotten to
> >> change
> >> grub to install
> >> on first boot partition instead of mbr and the at the same time being
> >> spammed about
> >> provide-ing passwords to the encrypted drives ( the installation was
> >> being install on
> >> free space on hd.  Why am I asked to provide passwords to my
> >> encrypted
> >> partitions )
> >> image still got transfered to hd thou trying to cancell.
> >>

> > We default to encrypted partitions, so you were being asked to provide a
> > passphrase for the encryption.
> Then I was constantly being asked for the password which I already had
> provided for the encrypted partition which means a bug, thou I think I
> was being asked to proved password for the other encrypted partition I had.
> >  Upon reboot you would be prompted for
> > this passphrase before boot would continue.  Likewise this passphrase
> > would be necessary to access the content on that partition from any
> > other machine.  It's a security measure to protect your data.
> >

> Any other words of wisdom you like to share..
>
> Jesse I think we view live cd differently.
>
> I see live cd's as more as an introduction to Fedora as in allowing user to
> to try, play and if like install Fedora.
>
> Not something he's using on daily bases..

It's both, and one shouldn't overrule the other.  Especially because we
don't want vastly different experiences from when somebody is using the
Live image vs having an install done.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)