openbox on fedora-release-9-2.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon May 12 23:22:11 UTC 2008

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:34:40PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
>
>> Scott Robbins wrote:

>>> Openbox is fine, there are no bugs there that I've noticed. It comes
>>> with a very small default menu, which may or may not consist of items
>>> the user has installed. It has some default config files which are where
>> Menu items that don't work seem like bugs to me. Especially when one of
>> them appears to be its configuration tool.
>
> Heh, I see your point.  However, in this case, I believe it would be an
> Openbox bug rather than Fedora's.  Anyway, that openbox config thing

Either way, it bugzilla.redhat.com would be the place to report it.
Actually, I'd lay the task of fixing that at Fedora's door; upstream
can't be expected to know what browsers and email clients are installed,
that needs to be set by the packager. Unless standards at
freedesktop.org say otherwise.

> doesn't do very much, I think it gives a choice of themes.  Keys and
> menu items are done by hand-editing xml files.

I was thinking about that overnight. I've never seen the point of
hand-edited xml, and you yourself highlighted why: it's hard to
maintain. For exchanging data between machines, that's different.

> There is a fine line between bug and feature--for example, Openbox
> deliberately dropped the toolbar when upgrading from 2 to 3 (or perhaps
> somewhere in the 3.x series.)  I'd consider it a regression, but others
> think it's a good thing.  <shrug>

There's been a fair bit of fuss and bother over things vanished from
kde4 compared with 3.5. There's a lot of popular stuff I do not use, and
a lot relatively unpopular stuff I do, and where there are choices I
tend to exercise several of them. I like toolbars, and have at times had
several of them. On OS/2 we had a launchpad, a bit like wharf in
X-Windows. I had two of those. (one of its nice features was that one
could close it. If it was closed, or merely hidden, a double-click on
the desktop would bring it to the top).

--

Cheers
John