superuser console?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu May 1 21:24:44 UTC 2008

Alain PORTAL wrote:
> But I remember a meeting one year ago, where was RMS present, where SuSe (TM)
> made a great effort to build a disribution user friendly (It seems is
> was...).
>
> And I would like Fedora making better!
>
> And I say, perhaps I'm stupid, but don't have a super usermode console entry
> in the menu is a regression!
>
> Think what you want.
>
> I think that too many people forget newbies.
> As I came from FC6, I can consider me as a newbie (newby?) with this F9.
>
> I can also close my mouth and leave you to believe that everything is fine.
> In my humble opinion, this is not the case.
>
> I don't say any more about that, my english don't allow me.
>
> As summary, I'm afraid that nobobdy complait about this behaviour and
> everybody forget non Linux user who want to try to make the step.

As others mentioned the missing console entry in the menus is something to fix,
but probably upstream in KDE.  Also, you may not be aware that MANY of the daily
uses of the superuser console should be going away with Fedora 9 and F10 and
onward...

The reason is because there are other, better ways to handle granting access to
'normal' users for some administration tasks.  One of the big features of F9 is
the introduction of PolicyKit and ConsoleKit which can be used to give users
permission to do some tasks without the risks of being the root user while doing
them.  You can permanently grant your normal user permission to update, install
software, remove software, shutdown/restart the system, mount or unmount drives,
etc.

There are many things happening to help make Fedora easier for the general user
and not just for the power-user-ultra-geek.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29