Upgrade -> rawhide disaster

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Sat May 3 10:58:46 UTC 2008

I just tried a 2nd upgrade F8-> rawhide.

On reboot, it hung a long time on bringing up eth0, and failed.  This never
had a problem on F8.

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B
PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

When it went to start X, all I got was an 'X'.  And an apparantly dead
machine.

I rebooted into mode 3.  Ran top.  Nothing showed a significant load
average.  Quit top.  Now, no response from keyboard.

Rebooted into mode 1.  Looked at /var/log/messages.  Millions(?) of lines
from named.  chkconfig named off.  Rebooted again.  Now, running OK, but
still no eth0.

No wired shown in NM.  Don't know why.