pulseaudio group pulse-rt

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Sat May 3 22:50:22 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>> I see these messages:
>>
>> May  3 17:30:33 nbecker1 pulseaudio[31536]: main.c: Called SUID root and
>> real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration.
>> However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
>> May  3 17:30:33 nbecker1 pulseaudio[31536]: main.c: We are not in
>> group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping
>> SUID again.
>> May  3 17:30:33 nbecker1 pulseaudio[31536]: main.c: For enabling
>> real-time scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges,
>> or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the
>> RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
>>
>> But I AM in pulse-rt group.  Seems strange.  Either it's broken, or
>> perhaps
>> this message was posted when I was not logged in?  (Doesn't say what user
>> it's complaining about, but I'm the only account on this machine)
>>

> Use the authorizations tool in system->preferences->system to set yourself
> as
> authorized by policykit for realtime pulseaudio.  That should then take
> care of it I think, and you might be right its not really running under
> your user at the time (not positive about that).

Did that.  I don't think it works though.  I no longer get the message from
policykit, but i still get:
May  3 18:36:44 nbecker1 pulseaudio[2955]: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE,
(31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
May  3 18:36:44 nbecker1 pulseaudio[2955]: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO,
(9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted