Samba n0t working in gnome desktop

Martin Coker martincoker57 at supanet.com
Sat May 3 22:51:06 UTC 2008

Adam Pribyl wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2008, Martin Coker wrote:
>
>> I have read previous posts listings, but do not seems to have found
>> answer to the problem:
>> I am unable to browse the network shares from the f9 gnome desktop. I
>> am able to see the f9 shares on the machine and access them from all
>> other networked boxes including in network on the f9 I  can mount and
>> access the network shares on other machines using the  mount -t cifs
>> option and specifying the ip, share and mount point. So it  seems
>> that there is nothing fundementally wrong with samba. I have
>> disabled SElinux and Firewall and have been comparing as much as I
>> can  from the working f8 install. Having spent hours now trying to
>> find out  what is wrong I am totally lost at what to look at next. I
>> see the  following errors.
>> in May  3 10:07:43 LINSERVER kernel: gvfsd-smb-brows[5652]: segfault
>> at  0 ip a601d8 sp 41065000 error 6 in
>> libnss_wins.so.2[a29000+152000]messages
>> In samba log:
>> [2008/05/03 10:07:43,  0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr_internal(1601)
>> getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
>> Any help much appreciated
>
> gvfs is now used in Gnome, if it's segfaulting then the cause is
> obvious. Thnen only bugzilla can help you probably..
>
> Adam Pribyl

Many thanks that has been my problem I cannot get confirmation that this
is a bug, I have been using the fed forum but have not been able to
confirm that this problem is shared by others as all replies are the
same as me that command line mounting is ok. I had checked bugzilla but
could not see any related issues. All I really need is someone to
confirm that this is a general problem with
gnome/nautilus/gvfs/autofs/samba or whateverI have no idea on what to
post a bug under. Then again I cannot believe that if this is a bug it
would not have been picked up on, this would really make f9 a real pain
to use in the real world having to manually mount shares all the time,
so I am once again uncertain as to posting a bug. If someone can confirm
that they have or have not a problem with browsing network shares(samba)
in gnome it would help me greatly.