pulseaudio group pulse-rt

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun May 4 00:08:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 14:45 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Neal Becker wrote:
> > I see these messages:
> >
> > May  3 17:30:33 nbecker1 pulseaudio[31536]: main.c: Called SUID root and
> > real-time/high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration.
> > However, we lack the necessary priviliges:
> > May  3 17:30:33 nbecker1 pulseaudio[31536]: main.c: We are not in
> > group 'pulse-rt' and PolicyKit refuse to grant us priviliges. Dropping SUID
> > again.
> > May  3 17:30:33 nbecker1 pulseaudio[31536]: main.c: For enabling real-time
> > scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit priviliges, or become a
> > member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource
> > limits for this user.
> >
> > But I AM in pulse-rt group.  Seems strange.  Either it's broken, or perhaps
> > this message was posted when I was not logged in?  (Doesn't say what user
> > it's complaining about, but I'm the only account on this machine)
> >

> Use the authorizations tool in system->preferences->system to set yourself as
> authorized by policykit for realtime pulseaudio.  That should then take care of
> it I think, and you might be right its not really running under your user at the
> time (not positive about that).

And on The Other Desktop Environment (KDE) that would be where?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm getting really tired of the screwed-up
audio on Fedora. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It was
working up till a few days ago, then it stopped. I've changed *nothing*
except for applying updates. There are no error messages or indications
of any kind of problem in the logs. Amarok claims to be playing a track,
and even shows the equalizer histogram, but nothing is coming out of the
speakers. Yes they are plugged in, yes they are powered on, yes the
volume is turned up.

Maybe this is a Pulse Audio problem, maybe it isn't. I have *no idea*
how to start diagnosing it. I have never understood the relationship
between the multiple bits of audio software, which of them cooperate,
which are mutually exclusive, which work, which don't. Most of the docs
talk about one component with no reference to any others or how they all
fit together. The audio settings dialogue on both KDE and Gnome is a
joke. Does anyone really expect an end-user to understand this?

I'm not running an audio editing station here. I don't have exotic
hardware, just an Intel mobo chipset. I don't even care about MIDI, I
just want my music to come out of my speakers. This really, seriously,
should not be this hard.

Sorry for the rant.

poc