What's the Status of Audio in GDM?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed May 7 16:45:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 12:35 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> I did notice that the text that Orca is reading is less than helpful.
> First of all, it says nothing at all when the login window is ready to
> be used.  It doesn't start reading until I click something on the
> login widget.  Second, after clicking my user's full name in the list,
> it says "Password:" and sometimes it reads each key of my password as
> I type it instead of saying "star".  I can't reproduce this problem
> all the time, however.  I think there are some race conditions between
> when GDM starts up pulseaudio and Orca, because I have heard the
> "Welcome to Orca" occasionally when the login window is ready.

Ray spent some time trying to get orca to say more reasonable things
when navigating the user list, but apparently treeview a11y is hard to
master. Maybe some of the nice people on gnome-accessibility-devel could
help us out here. Having a nice, documented example for setting up
treeview a11y would be most appreciated, and I'd add that to the GTK+
docs in a jiffy, should it appear...

> Finally, I noticed that after logging in, Orca says "Welcome to Orca"
> but then the process is killed or dies for some reason, and the rest
> of my session no longer has the screen reader enabled, even though I
> have it enabled in my session preferences.  Logging out doesn't fix it
> either, and either Orca or pulseaudio (not sure which) no longer runs
> on the GDM screen.  Rebooting seems to fix things.

We haven't solved the 'carry a11y setup into the session' problem yet.