GDM Greeter

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Wed May 7 20:15:40 UTC 2008

Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> A real 'tester', gee I dislike that name, would live with the short
>> comings of Rawhide and deal with the problems. If you really need a
>> GUI to setup your system, actually *if* can only use a GUI to setup
>> your system, you should not really be using Rawhide. Rawhide is often
>> broken for some reason or another. It is not for the faint of heart.
>>

> I'm not testing rawhide... I'm testing F9. Sure, right now, that's the
> same thing, of course, but it's still an important distinction, because
> rawhide is going to be an official release soon, and it should be ready.
> The differences is basically that "testing rawhide" implies making sure
> packages work as intended, whereas "testing F9" implies making sure
> packages are ready to be released. (Am I wrong?) Regardless, no tester
> should "live with short comings": a testers job is to point out bugs and
> feature short comings.

I agree. However the 'problem' you have with GDM is not a Fedora problem but a
GNOME 'problem'. This is a Fedora list not a GNOME list. And it is a known
issue. A solution for this 'problem' is under development. If you are really
serious maybe you could help write some code for them? If not I would suggest
that you write a bugzilla report on the GNOME bugzilla.

> The comment on the "need" to use a GUI is completely irrelevant: a
> tester's job is to point out short comings in an aspect of the system,
> regardless of that tester's ability to use CLI or GUI, or their
> preference for either. In this particular case, it's even more
> irrelevant, though, because as we've consistently pointed out, there is
> currently NO way to configure gdm login to disable the user list or
> faces, or to customize the user list, by GUI or CLI tool, AFAIK, and
> nobody has posted anything here saying otherwise, since I started this
> thread.

Once again. Probably the wrong list. And again GMONE bugzilla. I bet most of
you use KDE? So why not try KDM? Or try KDM even if you don't use KDE for your
desktop?

--

   David